Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Michael Jackson Ignores The Paparazzi

11.03 .10 Caye Caulker, Belize Santa Elena


I'm sitting on one of the many piers constructed with wooden planks that surround the tiny island of Cayo Caulker, a few miles from Belize City. `I arrived in the capital Tuesday, early afternoon. At a bus station, near the border with Guatemala, while I was waiting, I immediately noticed the many environmental and cultural diversity between the two neighboring states.
me is enough to buy a bottle of water to understand that the cost of living here is very different from the one in Guatemala and Mexico. As I climbed on the bus
dirty and shabby, coror gray rat, a big black man I shouted something in a strange and dirty English, very similar to the one spoken in Antigua-Barbuda from local people, and I took the backpack and it has beaten, without much regard to the last seat two people passing by a door in the back of the bus. Within minutes my backpack and has been buried by other bags, suitcases and luggage different. Vincent and I met John, the first German and the other American. John is dropped after a few km away by his friend with whom he traveled for the past three weeks and that he had met in Antigua in Guatemala. Vincent speaks enough English and enjoys an almost perfect English. E 'on the road for more than 5 months, has just finished the course "Open Water" by divers, just like me, and was also directed him to Cayo Caulker. We have spent little, to make friends and, between a story and another, three hours after we arrived in Belize City.
Let the heavy backpacks and the facts TICKETS to the island, we ate a big plate meat accompanied by rice and potatoes in a restaurant that had just filled with students in school uniform, including large stuffed tortillas.
I can not say that the capital has impressed me, and after the walking tour recommended by the guide, I thought I would have already seen everything. I had never seen so many times driving, looking for information, studying maps, as in those few hours with Vincent. I'm pretty scrupulous traveler for certain things, but compared to my German friend, I looked like a tramp in jeopardy.
island we went to see two hostels which Vincent already knew the names and addresses. We walked enough and then we decided for the first. It's called Tita and is close where we arrived at the marina. Aesthetically it is very rustic and charming, just a few meters from the sea with a sand garden decorated with murals and stone chairs around wooden tables. The colors and give it a touch of Caribbean hammocks and, entering, you find that great and is much more than it seems from outside.
$ 21 in Belize, here changed to U.S. $ 10.5 for a bed in a room with 4 other guys. Shared bathrooms and a spacious kitchen with little plates and plastic cups. Room on the ground, there was a bit of everything: bags, dirty clothes, bottles, slippers, shoes, a guitar, plastic bags ...
I had a shower in the bathroom which had now assumed the appearance of "End of the day" and I went to sit in the garden with Vincent. Every time I went in and out from one of the doors, I met a new face, the hostel was completely full and everyone was talking strictly English! In front of the sea and sipping a glass of rum and coke, Vincent told me a little bit of his life. He's only 20 years, an athletic body, short hair and fine straw-colored, gray eyes and fair skin. His soft-featured face expresses intelligence, seriousness is goodness within.
to contradict the good guy's face were his stories of five years of kick boxing, where he reached the highest levels, to compete for international securities where, unfortunately, had stopped for an accident due to knee. He says that he had always lived as a discipline is very hard and strict, but never as a way to learn to do harm to someone. He never loved the environment of the sport, made up of thugs and bullies. His stories were characterized by great humility and I really liked the fact that it boasts of almost anything. A few months ago, one night in Nicaragua, has been attacked by a guy with a knife. He told me that when the boy is approached and opened his arms in defiance and demanded money, his instincts took over. Five more seconds later, while he ran the quickest possible way home, the criminal was lying in agony on the ground: it had struck him with a right hook under the chin and did not need another punch to put it out on the ground. A kick in the ribs and another in the face, were enough to "finish him".
"I'm sorry you did. At this time I could be dead. He might be someone hiding with a gun. I do not know what is happened in those few seconds, I knew I could hit him and beat him easily. The My brain automatically analyzed its size, height, arm muscles, shoulder width and the size of the neck. When you put in that position, with open arms a few cm from me, I could not control mei movements and hit him with all my strength. I had never done a fight on the street and even less used techniques learned in 6 years of hard training against someone, if not within a ring. This time it is successful and I know that he risked his life in doing so. Next time, I'll limit myself to 'do everything to empty your wallet and go with my legs. "

After midnight we went to sleep and I, this morning, I found a small hotel, for the same price, I gives a room (for me) like that of the hostel, Vincent did not want to split, which would have been convenient for both and, after asking for information on advanced diving course, our paths have separated.

0 comments:

Post a Comment